Monday, December 12, 2011

Meet Ben and some Mistletoe

Hello, hello! Today I'd like to share a couple of cards that were featured on Michele's blog last week.

First up is one of Stephanie Ackerman's Winter Kids named Ben. After coloring him with Copics, I thought he looked a little "flat", so I added some shading with Prismacolor pencils.


I went around the edge of the card with a Sharpie, and drew the wonky lines alá Julie Ebersole that she shared here. It was a lot of fun and adds to the playfulness of the image. Thanks, Julie! After stamping the sentiment, I added some gemstones which look like Christmas lights when the card moves.

Next up is a card using Mistletoe Ball from carolyn draws. I colored the image with Copics and drew those wonky lines again.


I showed this card to my hubby and asked him what it was. Staring intently, he asked me if the "ribbon is supposed to be like that" and I said yes, I didn't DRAW the image, I just COLORED it.

It took a while for him to answer until I pointed to the sentiment and he said, "Oh!! Mistletoe!" Yay for him. Little does he know, it's his Christmas card and he'll be seeing it again in a few weeks.

You can find these and many more holiday images at Purple Onion Designs that help make quick and simple cards.

I hope that your holiday cardmaking is in full swing. Have a great week and thanks, always, for stopping by!

Stamps: Purple Onion Designs
Cardstock: Canson watercolor paper
Ink: Memento
Other: Copics, Prismacolor pencils, Sharpie pen, gemstones

22 comments:

  1. Donna love both your cards. They look so wonderful & fun xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Ben..and your work! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, your cards are sweet, clean, and adorable! At least your hubby will know what is on his card when he receives it! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Husbands.....evidently they don't breathe cards like we do :) LOVE your mistletoe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. like the idea how you spiked up your cards Donna~ It sure added that little miss feature on it but now they look amazing.....Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous cards Donna - love the doodling! I loved reading your hubbies comments as my hubby says odd 'man things' all the time too. Take yesterday for instance: we were putting up the tree and he said 'where do you want to move the jar of sticks to'? It took me a minute to realise that he meant my beautiful vase of artfully arranged grasses! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the comment from your hubby - so funny! The first card with Ben is so cute, Donna, and I love your mistletoe too! I'm mass producing a set of card's this year with Julie's wonky lines too - so fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna the randomness of the playful borders adds a wonderful whimsical touch and the light gray shading makes your images glow. Giggled reading about your husband's comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Donna...love these cards...love the images and how cute to add the frame around the image...they are just perfect..love them..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, you and your coloring skills? Could never look flat..ever! Love both of your designs, so cute! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OHHH! These cards are amazing--I LOVE that you drew around the edges--BEAUTIFULLY done! I love the shading and the coloring (must get some Copic lessons from you)! LOVE that second card with that beautiful bow and that gem with the sentiment--YOU AMAZE ME:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How do you do that ???? You make such beautiful cards !!!I love Ben....he's so cute.......
    Have a nice week.
    Hugs Bianca xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. your cards always make me smile, Donna! these are so cute and I just adore the simple designs. love love them. love ya, too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute!! Love the wonky lines and the lights look really festive. Two cute cards Donna. Hope ur doing well!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are both beautiful Donna! Love the cute images and the colouring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So Pretty.....Love them both! I am really going to have to do some QUICK cards if I get any done at all.....Got any Simple ideas??? UGG!! We will head home on Wednesday....xoxoxo!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL, your hubby's reaction to 'his' card is hilarious! I love these cute images and your doodle lines are wonderful, like strings of holiday lights!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adore your simple designs, Donna! Love both of your cards! The first one is so adorable, second one is simply elegant... love the doodle borders on both! Love Ken's reaction to the card! :) Your blog always makes me smile! Lots of hugs, love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful cards Donna - love them both.

    ReplyDelete